An immigrant who is considered an “outstanding researcher or professor” may qualify for a EB-1B visa. The immigrant must be internationally acclaimed in his/her scientific or scholarly field of work.
Unlike EB-1A Visas, EB-1B immigrant visas must be employer sponsored meaning that the professor or researcher must have sponsorship from his/her employer throughout the petitioning process in order to receive a EB-1B Visa. Through the petition process, the employer becomes the petitioner and the immigrant receiving the EB-1B Visa is the beneficiary.
You must demonstrate international recognition for your outstanding achievements in a particular academic field. You must have at least 3 years’ experience in teaching or research in that academic area. You must be entering the United States in order to pursue tenure or tenure track teaching or comparable research position at a university or other institution of higher education.
To be recognized internationally as an Outstanding Researcher or Professor in one’s field requires at least two (2) of the following types of evidence:
- Evidence of receipt of major prizes or awards for outstanding achievement
- Evidence of membership in associations that require their members to demonstrate outstanding achievement
- Evidence of published material in professional publications written by others about the alien’s work in the academic field
- Evidence of participation, either on a panel or individually, as a judge of the work of others in the same or allied academic field
- Evidence of original scientific or scholarly research contributions in the field
- Evidence of authorship of scholarly books or articles (in scholarly journals with international circulation) in the field
Applying for a EB-1B can be a grueling and involved process to provide enough evidence that you have been recognized internationally in your work. Be prepared for all situations by having a lawyer by your side. It is crucial to have an experienced professor and researcher visa immigration lawyer by your side to help you through the application process to make sure that you have met all the required criteria to be granted a EB-1B Visa.