Expertise. Creativity. Results.
Providing Immigration and Personal Injury Counsel in
Los Angeles, CA

Students (F-1)

United States has been looked up to by many other countries as a country with a proper, fair, and strong education system in place. The F-1 student visa is the primary way by which non-U.S. citizens come to the United States to attend college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, language training program, or other academic institution. F-1 student visa is an extremely abundant among students and exchange guests who plan on coming to the United States to further their education.

In order to apply for an F-1 visa, the student (you) and the educational program must meet following several requirements:

  • You must be enrolled in a program of the following: educational program in an academic setting, Intensive English Program, or a vocational training
  • You must be have full-time enrollment at an accredited school/program
  • You must be an avid English-speaker or currently enrolled in a program that leads to fluency
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must have approved the school or program
  • You must prove that you have an abundance of funds that will allow you to support yourself while studying

Student F1 Visa interviews will require the following documentation:

  • A valid passport
  • The Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
  • The application fee payment receipt
  • A passport photo
  • A Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status (Form 1-20)

How long will my visa be valid for?

When you are granted a F-1 visa, it will permit you to stay in the United States for the duration of the entire program in addition to time required for authorized practical training. After your academic program is complete, you will be given 60 days to depart the United States. The entire period of your stay through your F-1 visa is commonly referred to as “duration of status” and is noted on the I-94 as D/S. You must complete the academic program prior to the date of expiration listed by the designated school official on the I-20AB (a form issued by the school).

The process for being approved for a F-1 visa can be a long and involved process. Due to the various difficulties you might experience while filing an F-1 application, you will want an experienced and knowledgeable attorney by your side.

Schedule a Consultation Today

At the Law Office of Gary J. Kim, we take great pride in the personalized attention we provide to each of our clients.  We understand how challenging the process can be, and we will work with you through every step to help you through. To schedule your free initial consultation, call us at (213) 427-6262 or contact us online.